Review the chart you have created to monitor your judgment making and that of Tim O'Brien in this short story.
What judgment did you make about the author's final decision?
If you had been in his position, would you have chosen to fight in the war or flee to Canada?
Think first: is the Vietnam War a war you would have believed in or opposed--why or why not?
Explain your answer.
I think it was a good descicion. If he went to Canada I think he would have regretted it because he felt embarressed even being close to Canada. I would have chosen to go to Canada until after the war was over. I wouldn't be willing to fight in a war I didn't believe in.
ReplyDeleteI think O'Brien's decision to fight was the right choice for him. He said he would be embarassed if he fled to Canada, so it was the right choice to fight. If I were in that position I probably would have decided to fight in the war because I would have felt bad if I went to Canada and not defend my country. If it was a war I didn't believe in, I wouldn't be willing to fight.
ReplyDeleteO'Brien definitely made the right choice because it was hard for him to even be close to Canada. He felt judged for even thinking about fleeing to Canada and if he actually went then he would've felt even worse. If it were me I would've gone to war. It would be a really hard decision but i think I would feel just as bad as O'Brien did when I realized how close I was to running away from my fears.
ReplyDeleteLike Sara, Rachel and Mike, I agree that O'Brien made the right decision. I think it was a smart choice to go against fleeing to Canada. It showed that he was not a coward and did not back down to his fears. If he did flee to Canada he would have regretted his choice and would feel guilty for letting down his country. If I were in O'Briens position, as much as I would love to run away from my fears and flee to Canada, I feel the right decision to do would be to right for my country and not let my people down.
ReplyDeleteI'm not completely sure O'Brien made the right choice, because he was against the war and had an amazing life ahead of him. He did not agree with the fact we were in Vietnam and only went because he was embarrased not to. No one should be forced to do something they do not want to do, especially when it comes to war and killing people. If I were in his position I would have probably have fled to Canada.
ReplyDeleteI think O'Brien made the right choice in the end by not going to Canada. If he did he probably would've felt the shame of letting his country down even though he didn't agree with or support the war. If I was in this situation I would've probably chose to go to war for the same reason of not wanting to feel guilty, and even though I didnt agree I would feel obligated to do my part.
ReplyDeleteI think he made the right choice to go to war. I personally would of gone to Canada I don't believe violence is the answer. And I would just be too scared of getting killed. If I feel so uncomfortable about something I won't do it.
ReplyDeleteI agree with the majority that O'Brien made the right decision by not going to Canada, and to fight in the war. He said he'd be embarressed, and I agree with him. If he went to Canada, he would have looked like a "wimp." If I were in his shoes I definately would have moved away so I wouldn't have to fight in a war I didn't believe in.
ReplyDeleteI thought that Tim O'Brien made the right decision when he responded to his draft card by joining the war. I think this because even just thinking about going to Canada made him embarrassed. If I was in this situation I definetly would have joined the war because it is the right thing to do when your country needs you.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Nichole that O'Brien did not make the complete right choice because he was against the war and hated the fact that he may have to kill someone or himself get killed. Also I think he felt pressured to go because he worked so hard buliding up his awesome reputation so he didn't want his rep to be wrecked because he fled to Canada instead of fighting for his country. If I was in that situation I would deffenitly flee to Canada right away simply because I absoutly hate war
ReplyDeleteI think the author's final decision was the right one. If he didnt fight in the Vietnam War and stayed in Canada, he would have been remembered as a coward and a scaredy cat to the people who knew who he was. Facing your fears is something that neeeds to be accomplished in ones lifetime. If I was in his positiion, I would think about fleeing but would most likely not go through with. One should be scared of death but not change their beliefs because of it.
ReplyDeleteI believe that Tim O'Brien made the right decision. I feel that if he ended up going and staying in Canada, he would regret it and feel like a coward if he didn't respond to his draft card. If I was in this situation I would probably end up serving in war. Even if I opposed the war, I would help my country in its time of need.
ReplyDeleteI think that it was a good thing that the final decision that he made was going to not go to canada and go into the war. if that was me i also would have gone into the war and not have gone to canda because for the rest of my life i would have thought about the friends i would be leaving behind.
ReplyDeleteI dont think it was the right decition. i dont care that it was his duty as a citizen or not, no one should have to be forced into doing somthing they dont want to do or dont belive in. Just like the constitution states. I think i wouldnt have opposed the vietnam war and i would have ran away to cananda too if i was about to get sent away to fight for it.
ReplyDeleteIn my opinion, Tim O'Brien did make ther right decision by going to war instead of Canada. If he went to Canada i think he would of regretted not serving for his country and would of have to live with that for the rest of his life. If i was in his shoes i would of went to war also.
ReplyDeleteI think he made the right decision. Going to Canada would've been the easy decision, and he would've been labelled and remembered as a coward. His life in Canada would've been filled with regret. He would've been leaving behind his whole life because he was afraid. I would've most likely been opposed to the Vietnam war, but I would've ultimately fought for my country if I was drafted.
ReplyDeleteI think Tim O'Brien made the right decision to go to Vietnam because he got called into duty by the government and he did not let his country down. I also think he would have regretted going to Canada instead of fighting. I would have chosen to fight in the war if i was in his position. I think i would have believed in the war because it was against communism and i believe that communism should not be allowed in the world.
ReplyDeleteLike many before me have said, I believe O'Brien's decision to fight was the right choice. He may have lived his life in shame if he fled to Canada and would most likely be disowned by his friends. I probably would have gone to fight in the war because if my country needed me that badly, I think i would want to help the war effort in the time of need.
ReplyDelete